Is American Bittersweet Poisonous to Cats and Dogs?

Is American Bittersweet Poisonous to Cats and Dogs

The American Bittersweet is poisonous for both cats and dogs.

Typical symptoms include diarrhea, seizures, vomiting, and weakness.

This plant’s roots were used by Native American to treat venereal disease, and symptoms of tuberculosis. American is a species of Celastrus that blooms mostly in June and is commonly found on rich, well-drained soils of woodlands. It has colorful, orange fruits that are the size of a pea. These fruits are poisonous to humans when ingested, but are favorites of birds.

The scientific name for this plant is Celastrus scandens. Additional names for this plant include Bittersweet, Climbing Bittersweet, False Bittersweet, Oriental Bittersweet, Shrubby Bittersweet, and Waxwork.

Image: Istock.com / Laurie Faille

3 thoughts on “Is American Bittersweet Poisonous to Cats and Dogs?”

  1. Hi. Thanks for letting us know. We get the images from istockphoto and the one that should be in this post is actually by you, but the uploader has inserted the wrong image. So the credit is “right” but the image is the wrong one 🙂 We will fix it. Thank you for great photos.

    Reply

Leave a Reply to Laurie Faille Cancel reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.