The use of cat nail caps is becoming increasingly common these days. They can protect our pets as well as things around our house that our kitty friends love to scratch like furniture. But, are they really necessary and safe?
What are cat nail caps?
Cat nail caps are small plastic caps that are glued to a cat’s claws. They are soft, firm, and rounded. They are non-toxic and very easy to apply as you can put them on your cat yourself without need for assistance. These caps usually stay on for about four to six weeks and eventually fall off as a cat’s nails naturally grow. Kittens who are about three months old can use these caps as they also comes in kitten sizes.
Cat nail caps are becoming a by-word among pet parents because of these benefits and advantages:
- They prevent damage to furniture, carpets, drapes, and other home decor.
- They are great accessory to use if you’re training your cat to use the scratching post.
- They do not prevent the normal growth of claws.
- They are a safe and humane option instead of declawing cats.
- They prevent injuries to pet owners, children, and guests in the house.
- Your cat’s claws can still extend and retract even with the caps on.
- They are affordable.
- They can be a short term or long term solution depending on a cat’s ability to adapt and according to your needs.
While cat nail caps have many pros, they also has their share of disadvantages. Here are some of them:
- They may be difficult to put on if your cat has delicate paws and doesn’t like her paws being touched.
- They need to be monitored regularly to prevent infection.
- They are made of plastic so it’s not biodegradable.
- They may limit a cat’s ability to climb and move around which may have an indirect effect on its health.
- Some cats take a while to adjust and may have difficulty with walking around at first.
- Some cats don’t like them and may chew them off or worse could ingest it. If so, bring your cat to the vet immediately.
- They may eliminate a cat’s natural defense mechanism so it’s more advisable for indoor cats.
- Some of the caps may fall off at the start so expect that a few pieces may be wasted.
- Some may not come off at around six weeks and a cat’s nails may become too long and curve on the paw’s pad. If this happens, the caps need to be removed by clipping.
Are nail caps safe for cats?
Yes, nail caps are perfectly safe for cats to use. and they should not cause any pain or damage to the claw beds.
Do nail caps bother cats?
Cats usually make a fuss or may feel uncomfortable during the first application but they should eventually get used to the caps. However, it depends on the cat. For some cats, it may take days to adjust while some others may never like the idea of having caps on their nails. So, be patient and give your cat time to get used to wearing caps. Be sure to reward her with food treats especially if she behaved during the application of nail caps.
Recommended Cat Nail Caps Brands
Here are some of the best brands of cat nail caps in the market today:
Soft Claws Nail Caps for Cats and Kittens
This brand comes in small, medium, large, and kitten sizes. It’s available in fun and festive colors and each package contains forty pieces of high-quality and non-toxic caps.
Purrdy Paws Soft Nails for Cat Claws – Awesome Combos
This vet-developed brand comes in four sizes and proven safe and non-toxic. Each kit contains 20 pieces of nail caps along with applicator tips, adhesive, and instructions. There are various colors to choose from including bling, rainbow, and Christmas colors.
VICTHY Soft Pet Cat Nail Caps
These easy-to-apply caps are natural, comfortable, and comes in four sizes to fit kittens to mature cats. It’s sold in multipacks containing 100 pieces and comes in five different colors.
Zetpo 100 Pcs. Soft Nail Caps
This brand is a top pick for budget-conscious pet owners. Each pack contains 100 pieces of nail caps in five assorted colors. The brand is available in four different sizes for cats 5 pounds to 16 and more pounds. Zetpo offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee for their nail caps.
Brostown 100 Pcs. Soft Nail Caps XS
This brand offers an XS size which fits most kittens that are around 3 to 4 months of age and three more sizes for larger cats. Each package has 100 pieces of nail caps in five different and solid colors without the glitter and sparkles.
Cat nail caps are generally safe to use and they look fashionable on your cats, too. It’s a great alternative to declawing and prevents untoward injuries and scratches among children and other members of the family. Most of all, it prevents damage to furniture and household items without sacrificing your cat’s comfort, health, and safety.