Feliway is a synthetic pheromone that copies the exact familiarization facial pheromones of cats which they use to mark objects, people or surroundings. Pheromones are species-specific, meaning that the Feliway pheromones will only affect cats and will have no effect on humans or other animals.
The most convenient and popular way to use Feliway is by using a diffuser. A diffuser covers an area of 750 sq ft. It is drug free and safe to us. It comes with a plug-in system which you can use for 24 hours a day as this gives the best propablility of the desired effect such as calming a scared or anxious cat. The diffuser should be refilled every month and the device itself needs to be replaced every 6 months.
Is Feliway a Fire Hazard?
The Feliway diffuser is constructed with self-extinguishing plastic materials and comply with the International Electro technical commission (IEC), European (EN) and UL required standards. Feliway claims that their diffuser is safe and it is intended to be left plugged in continuously. Some may run for a little longer than 1 month without a refill due to differences in location, air turnover, etc.
However, it should never be left plugged in completely empty as the last few millilitres of liquid are not sufficiently in contact with the wick. It is therefore recommended to refill every month before the liquid runs out.
While the diffuser should be safe to leave plugged in, it is still better to take the following precautionary measures:
- An adult should assemble the Feliway Diffuser. Always read the instructions that comes with it.
- Do not touch the surface of the diffuser. The surface of the plug-in device may reach a high temperature to stimulate evaporation of the ingredient, so the surface should not be touched once the diffuser has been plugged in.
- It is normal for a Feliway Diffuser to become warm, but when it gets too hot to touch, unplug it immediately. You may ask for a replacement form the company you bought it. Some customers have reported the diffuser running too hot and smelling as if something is burning.
- NEVER use any other refills for the Feliway Diffuser or use Feliway refills with another plug-in device.
- Feliway Diffusers come with plugs that fit with the local electric systems of the country they have been bought from. For example, a US diffuser cannot be used in a European country, due to the voltage difference.
- For a diffuser bought from the US, it should only be plugged into a secure 120-volt electrical socket. If the weight of a Feliway Diffuser causes the plug to sag in the outlet, this may trigger an electrical short, sparks and possibly a fire. To avoid fire danger, it must be removed, and the outlet should be replaced with a new one.
- Keep it away from the cat’s reach. They may likely touch it due to their curious nature. Place it in a safe or high place. Do not cover the diffuser or install it behind furniture or near curtains, drapes, blankets or other flammable items.
The Feliway Diffuser is effective for many cats and normally should work without issues. There are, however, some reports regarding the product catching fire. Remember to follow all instructions given in the manual, especially regarding changing the refills and replacing the device. Always be careful on leaving your plug-in diffuser unattended for longer periods.
Every electrical device can be a potential fire hazard. The Feliway diffuser is not an exemption, but with careful use and following the instructions the risk should be minimal.