Revolution is a flea and parasite medication that is applied to the skin of a cat, at the back of her neck. It is effective for many parasites such as adult fleas, flea larvae, ear mites, heartworm, roundworms, and bookworms.
But what happens if the treatment that was supposed to kill parasites was licked by your cat? Is it dangerous? Read on to find out.
What if my cat licks Revolution
Revolution can be applied topically at the back of the cat’s neck just above the shoulders or any part of the coat that she is unable to reach. But with your cat’s curious mind, she may lick it off as she finds it as an obstacle to grooming herself or, of course, other cats. Possible effects of ingesting Revolution include:
- Salivating profusely
- Gagging and puking
- Frothing at the mouth
- Becoming agitated and squirm to remove the chemical from their mouth. The taste is so unpleasant for cats that they may try to get rid of it.
- Cats who ingested a large amount of Revolution or that are sensitive may get digestive upset
How to prevent a cat from licking Revolution
Always read the label directions carefully to ensure the product is appropriate for your cat’s species, age, and weight. Apply it on a spot at the back of the neck just between the shoulder blades where she cannot reach to lick it. If you are unsure, feel free to call your vet for advice. If you have more than one cat in the household separate them so they cannot lick it off each other.
If you feel like your cat is becoming ill from ingesting the product, bring her to the vet clinic immediately. Although poisoning from flea products is rare, in some cases your cat may need prompt medical care for better and faster recovery.