Is Jack-in-the-pulpit Poisonous to Cats and Dogs?


The Jack-in-the-pulpit is poisonous for both cats and dogs.

Typical symptoms include difficulty drooling, swallowing, excessive drooling, inappetance, oral irritation, pain and swelling of mouth, tongue and lips, oral pain, and vomiting.

The Jack-in-the-pulpit is a herbaceous perennial plant growing from a corm native to eastern North America. Jack-in-the-pulpit contains calcium oxalate crystals as raphides in all parts which can results in a powerful burning sensation if consumed. If the plant is properly dried or cooked it can be eaten as a root vegetable. 

The scientific name for this plant is Arisaema triphyllum. Additional names for this plant include American Wake Robin, Bog onion, Brown dragon, Devil’s dear, Dragon root, Memory root, Pepper turnip, Starch wort, Three-leaved indian turnip, and Wild turnip.

Image: / MelodyanneM

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.