Is Water Hemlock Poisonous to Cats and Dogs?

Water Hemlock
Aqu

The Water Hemlock is poisonous for both cats and dogs.

Typical symptoms include bloat, cardic disfunction, death, diarrhea, dilated pupils, fever, panting, respiratory depression, seizures, stomach pain and tremors.

Water Hemlock are perennial herbaceous plants native to temperate regions of the Northern Hemisphere, mainly North America and Europe. They could grow up to 8.2 ft  tall with white or green flowers in an umbrella shape. They usually grow in wet and marshy areas such as wet meadors and streambanks. They belong to the family Apiaceae are considered one of North America’s most toxic plants, being highly poisonous to humans.

The scientific name for this plant is Cicuta maculata. Additional name for this plant include Cowbane, Poison Parsnip, Spotted Cowbane, Spotted Parsley, Spotted Water Hemlock and Suicide Root By The Iroquois.

Image: Istock.com / Elenakirey

Share this article:

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.