Would you like to own a cat that is not physically striking to look at but has an adorable and affectionate personality? If so, a Maine Coon Sphynx mix cat may be a good choice. Some people may find this as an unlikely pair but a mix of these two breeds guarantees that you will have a sociable and interactive pet without too much fur around your home.
Maine Coon Sphynx mix: Physical traits and personality
You might wonder what a Maine Coon Sphynx mix cat may look like. This is because this mix is quite a rarity. However, this particular mix of two breeds does exist as a result of crossbreeding.
A Maine Coon Sphynx mix usually has short fluffy hair but has the wrinkly look which is one of the trademarks of the Sphynx breed. It also has a medium built and the facial features resemble a Sphynx cat more than that of a Maine Coon which has large eyes and long pointed ears.
To have a clearer gauge as to the physical attributes of the Maine Coon Sphynx mix, it may be helpful to list here the common physical traits of each breed for a more comparative look.
Maine Coon physical traits
- medium to large size with males larger than the females
- long and rectangular body
- heavily-boned and muscular
- large head and tall ears
- broad chest
- thick legs
- long-haired and with a shaggy, fluffy coat
- eye colors may be green, gold, copper or odd-eyed
- coat colors may be black, blue, white, red cream, silver, brown, tortoiseshell, blue-cream, golden
- coat patterns may be a solid color, tortoiseshell, bicolor, tricolor/ calico, tabby, smoke, shaded
- weighs 13 to 18 pounds
- lifespan is 9 to 13 years
Sphynx physical traits
- has extra-short hair or nearly hairless
- coat colors may be white, black, red, blue, silver, cream, cameo, golden, blue-cream, tortoiseshell and brown
- coat patterns may be a solid color, tortoiseshell, tricolor/calico, bicolor, tabby, ticking, smoke, shaded
- medium-sized cat
- has wrinkled skin
- has large eyes
- sleek and muscular body
- has a triangular head
- has wide-set eyes
- has prominent cheekbones
- large and triangle-shaped ears like that of bats
- weighs around 12 pounds
- lifespan is 8 to 14 years
Cat owners should expect to have the best of the two breeds when it comes to the temperament and personality of the Maine Coon Sphynx mix cat. This is because both breeds are closely similar in this area.
Here are the personality traits of the Maine Coon and Sphynx breeds:
Maine Coon personality traits
- family and pet-friendly
- very vocal and may chirp, trill or chatter
- loves the water
Sphynx personality traits
- loves to show off for attention
- has a sense of humor despite the dour expression
- gets along well with children and other pets
- likes to greet her owner at the door
- very vocal and has a raspy voice
- likes to bathe in warm water
With the above personality traits from both breeds as a basis, it is no surprise that the Maine Coon Sphynx mix has a friendly, sociable and affectionate personality just like her parents. However, while genetics may play an important part in a cat’s development, the personality is shaped throughout its life by factors such as environment and socialization.
Some fun facts about the Sphynx and Maine Coon cats
Sphynx cats are from Canada and although they may look hairless they are not bald and are not hypoallergenic. These cats are prone to skin problems due to their sensitive skin and also prone to sunburn. They tend to eat a lot and have fast metabolisms and they are quite popular aroind the world.
Maine Coons are referred to as gentle giants. They are well-adapted to withstand harsh and chilly weather because of their thick, fluffy and wet-repellent fur. These cats are not aggressive and may carry the gene for extra toes. They tend to be vocal and they have certain vocalizations like the chirp, trill and chatter. This breed is also among the popular cat breeds and considered as the largest domestic cat breed.
The Maine Coon Sphynx mix is a unique combination of two equally popular cat breeds with amiable personalities. While the two breeds are poles apart in terms of physical attributes, they are closely similar when it comes to personality and temperament.
Image: istockphoto.com / Nils Jacobi